3.03.2009

Annie Kathleen Pahulu

Well, we are officially a family of four!! On Sunday, Annie decided to make her dramatic entrance into the world. I woke up at about 8 am having a contraction and bleeding a little. We monitored the contractions for a while and they were pretty irregular and not too intense but the nurse at the hospital told us we should come in so they could make sure the bleeding wasn't from anything going wrong. They monitored me for about 2.5 hours and my contractions stayed about 10 minutes apart and I didn't change from where I was when I came in (dilated to a 4, 90% effaced). So, they decided I was in the early stages of labor but that we should go home and when the contractions were closer together and more intense we should come back.
So, we drove home and put Lauryn down for a nap and tried to get a little sleep ourselves. My contractions stayed about 8-10 minutes apart for a while but then suddenly started to pick up and became 3-5 minutes. But we really wanted to make sure this was it and not go back to the hospital if it wasn't so we timed them for about 30-45 minutes. On the way back to the hospital the contractions were really bad and I could totally feel that she was coming. I told Paul we needed to hurry and then called my brother to see if he could meet us at the hospital because we didn't have time to drop Lauryn off at his house. So Paul starts speeding as fast as he can to the hospital and I was trying to hold her in as my contractions were coming every 1-2 minutes. About a mile from the hospital a cop pulled behind us and started his lights but Paul just kept driving. He pulled up to the front door and I jumped out and made it up to labor and delivery thanks to the nice lady in the lobby who could tell I wasn't going to make it on my own. Paul explained to the cop that I was having a baby and then parked the car and he and Lauryn rushed upstairs.
When I got to labor and delivery I was basically crawling in because I was contracting so hard and trying so hard not to push. They grabbed me and put me in the first triage room. Literally 10 minutes later Annie was born. Paul barely made it into the room and Lauryn was out in the waiting room with one of the nurses. I was still wearing the t-shirt and even the socks that I'd come in (kept the t-shirt, threw the socks away). Needless to say, no epidural for me even though I still tried to get one. Having gone both ways, I must admit that I prefer a painfree labor! Here's the crazy part, we left the hospital to come home from the first time at about 2:30 and Annie was born at 5:33. So, yeah we should have just stayed the first time. The doctor and the nurse that sent us home kept apologizing. But I can't really blame them and now we'll be prepared for next time.
Thankfully she was a bit smaller than Lauryn and was only 7 lbs 15 oz, 20 inches long. It helped that she was 9 days early! She is really healthy and perfect. She's catching on to nursing pretty well and we're just happy to be home all together. My recovery has actually gone really well and I feel pretty good. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance to get them off the camera.

20 comments:

(Nicole) The Very Hungry Caterpillar said...

oh wow that was a dramatic appearance. glad you made it to the hospital. Nice to know that paul kept driving. I always wonder what I would do in an emergency if I was being pulled over. Can not wait to see pictures. glad everything went well.

Cassandra Nelson said...

Oh my goodness!! Congratulations! That is one crazy story. I'm so glad to hear you and the baby are happy and healthy. Looking forward to seeing pictures!

Morgan said...

congrats! what a crazy story indeed. so glad that you made it to the hospital and that everything went well and FAST. it is a fear of mine to deliver in the car. can't wait to see pics!

Makenna said...

that is crazy!! Wow. Fast is the best I guess. 3 babies in 3 weeks for us roomies!

DaNae said...

I am so glad everything worked out okay. I can't wait to see pics of little Annie! What a memorable delivery for sure.

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh!!! Crazy! I really enjoyed hearing your labor experience. Wow...one definitely wouldn't forget that delivery! Congrats though, I am so happy for you guys!!! Can't wait to see pictures!! Hope you are feeling well!

Unknown said...

It's just like a movie! I love that a cop caught you speeding to the hospital!

Congratulations-can't wait to see pictures!

Justin Cuff said...

Wow, Heather! That was a great story. I was glued as I read it. I'm excited for pictures. Congratulations to you, Paul and big sister Lauryn!
Love,
Lisa

julie said...

Congrats!!! So excited to see her, glad you are both doing well. The night you had the baby I was talking to mom and she said you were due in 10 days and then Paul called like 20 min. later and said you had the baby, so lucky. Hopefully we will meet her over the summer!

Ginger said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Heather! I am so glad you made it to the hospital! What an exciting story. And what a cute name. I can't wait to see some pictures. Congrats!!!

Julie Graham said...

Heather, Paul and Lauryn,

Congratulations!!! Wow Heather I would love to get to hear and see you tell that story in person!! Oh GOOD JOB! I can't imagine having to walk/crawl or move period when having contractions like that! The closest I have come to that was with Hyrum when the nurse wanted me to roll from one side to another and I thought I CAN"T MOVE because of the pain of the contractions and the concentration I had to give to endure them (no epidural), but walking and crawling! Oh I am so sorry that happened for you but oh what a WAR story that one is! I would love to hear Paul's story, too! Oh the stress and anxiety he had to have had knowing he couldn't take you in there himself and that you could have the baby anytime before he got there! I also love the name! Way cute! I can't wait to see the pictures! Will she go by Annie? Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

So glad she's here Heather! Congrats!

Melanie said...

Congratulations! And way to go also on surviving natural childbirth. Your so tough. I think I would have died if it were me. This is Marshall's wife by the way. We're really happy for you and your family.

Andrea said...

Congratulations! We are glad that everything turned out ok and the you are feeling well. Please let me know what I can do to help you out. We would be happy to have Laryn come over to play so that you can get a little rest!

Sam said...

Crazy! We are so excited for you. Congratulations! We can't wait to see pictures of little Annie.

Anonymous said...

Heather she is beautiful! We can't wait to meet our new little Annie! Love the name by the way. Wish you were closer so we could squeeze that big sister too. Love you guys.

Mama Jane said...

Oh wow girl!! You certainly got that right down to the very minute!!! Proud of Paul for continuing on and not stopping for the cop!!!
How happy we are for you that all went well, and that you all are healthy and well!! Love the name also, you have a really cute little princess!! Well, actually you have two of those, right!?!
Congrats to you Paul and Heatha-Featha!!!! Love ya tons!!!

hayley said...

What a story!! I was dying about the cop:) LOok at you all natural, that is crazy how fast everything happened. I am so glad your recovery is going well and that you feel good because all I have is more depressing news from my recovery. Jade and I just spent four more days in the hospital- children's hospital. The poor thing got really sick, but we are home again, I will have to blog about it later. Your little annie is beautiful:) I love the bow. Will keeps doing photoshoots before I can put a bow in my sumo wrestler baby's hair!! (you almost pulled a feb baby too! 3-1-9 I like it!!!)

Kevin and Emily said...

Heather, Congrats! What a crazy, memborable birth story. Glad you are both healthy and well. She is so beautiful, just like her Mom. Hope you and your beautiful family are enjoying this special time together!

Kristalyn said...

Wow, Heather...that is an amazing story! I'm glad you made it on time. When we were having Carter, I was trying to get David to speed, but he wouldn't 'cuz he was afraid we were going to get pulled over, I'm glad that I wasn't quite as far along as you were! Annie is beautiful!